Monday, December 3, 2007

experiment: writing consumer emails

After reading that NY Times story on high tech toys for little kids, I decided to leave a comment on the website. I noticed that neither the story nor the 50 reader comments that followed talked about the massive toxic waste all those toys are going to generate. For some reason, the comment feature was shut down, so I thought I'd just try writing the reporter directly. It was so easy (his email was right there. Come to think of it, I'll send the same email to his co-author too) and so satisfying. Instead of stewing about it and getting depressed, I just asked him to contemplate doing a follow up story on what happens to the e-waste generated by these toys. Took me five minutes. He might completely ignore me, but that doesn't even matter. It's just the act of doing it that feels great, asking our reporters to take responsibility for the consequences of the messages they're delivering. And if he does listen, his deeper investigation into the issue could impact the nation's conversation about buying electronic toys for kids. I'm struck by how easy and painless it is to say your thing to the big dogs via email.

Today, I did it again. I went to the store to buy some Pyrex containers and realized how cool it would be to walk in and pick up a Green Kitchen Kit with a bunch of containers of different sizes, a measuring cup and some tips on how to go green in the kitchen. Especially if the containers were made of recycled glass. Something like that could make going green easier for people looking for it, and introduce the idea to people that aren't. So I just wrote and told them about my idea. Took me another five minutes and it was fun. They might ignore me too, and that's ok. Because now I'm on a roll!

Let me know if you have any email projects you'd like others to help out on and I'll post them here:

> NY Times: Tech Toys Story needs to address the e-waste fallout
> Pyrex: How about a Going Green Kitchen Kit?
> Trader Joes: Why are you selling garlic from China?
> REI: Get rid of the toxic Nalgene bottles

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm inspired. i'm finally going to call trader joes. the other day i got home and found i had bought garlic from china - meanwhile i'm two hours from the garlic capital of the u.s. insane. thanks for the inspiration.

kristin said...

hurray! i'll write them too.

Jeremiah McNichols said...

I was just in Seattle visiting family after having been away for a while. We don't have Trader Joe's where I live now and it was awesome going back to that store and seeing all of the amazingly cheap, good food they have there.

Unfortunately, though, there is no way a store like that can operate and offer such cheap food unless their strategy involves developing worldwide relationships and swinging major deals with producers based in the cheapest possible location for every product. Otherwise they'd be Whole Foods. You mention the thought process required to go green, but unfortunately the cost is a barrier for many as well.

Thanks for a great blog.